Nasri expects more of the same





Nasri expects more of the same  - Manchester City playmaker Samir Nasri expects the club to go from strength to strength after reclaiming the Barclays Premier League crown. 

City completed their second title success in three seasons with a 2-0 victory over West Ham on Sunday.

City failed to build on their 2012 league win as expected, finishing runners-up to rivals Manchester United, but Nasri has do doubt a glittering future lies ahead.

The Frenchman, who opened the scoring against the Hammers with a superb long-range strike, said: "If we keep the same squad and add one or two good players, I don't see why we can't repeat this kind of thing.

"I have been here three years and won four trophies. Every year since I came we have finished first or second, so over those three years we have been the best team in England - no doubt about it.

"It is important that next year we confirm that."

City's title destiny slipped out of their hands as they lost at Liverpool and were held to a draw by Sunderland last month.

They regrouped and won their last five games, taking advantage of a Liverpool slip-up in the process, in a strong finish.

Nasri said: "We scored 102 goals in the league, over 150 goals (156) in all competitions.

"It is attractive football, offensive football, and I think the manager and the players deserve this trophy."

Nasri himself played a prominent role, with numerous influential performances throughout the campaign.

The 26-year-old felt he had greater involvement than in the last title win, marking a fine return to form after a frustrating 2012/13 campaign.

He said: "The title this year has a different taste to what happened two years ago - I played a part then, but not like this year.

"I did great because I had a great manager behind me, who trusted me and I tried to give it back to him on the pitch."

The frustration for Nasri is that he appears to be out of favour with France coach Didier Deschamps and looks likely to miss out on this summer's World Cup.

In fact, Nasri, who scored 11 goals for City in the season, is already resigned to watching the tournament from afar.

He said: "Sadly it's not going to happen, but that's fine. I respect the choices he has made.

"I am just happy I won the league and the (Capital One) cup this year, so I did everything on the pitch. Afterwards, if that is not enough, it is not enough.

"I missed a World Cup in 2010 and I am still alive and stronger than ever. I am going to watch it on TV while I am on holiday and I will be fine."

Nasri received backing over this from City boss Manuel Pellegrini, who was incredulous when asked about the possibility of Nasri missing out on Brazil 2014.

Pellegrini said: "The manager of France hasn't said about the list, but I can't believe Samir Nasri won't be in it because he was one of the best players in the Premier League and very important for our squad.

"It will be an important mistake if he doesn't play in the World Cup."

This article originally appeared in : Football - Nasri expects more of the same | eurosport.com | May 11, 2014 11:38 PM




No comments:

Post a Comment